Thread: Наша жизнь/Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme
Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme

The Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme is part of the Scottish Executive's Fresh Talent Initiative. The Fresh Talent Initiative encourages people to consider living and working in Scotland, as well as supporting efforts to retain indigenous people who wish to begin, or to further, their careers in Scotland.

The Home Office and the Scottish Executive are working together to implement the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme. This scheme will enable non-EEA nationals who have successfully completed an HND, degree course, Masters or PhD at a Scottish university and have lived in Scotland during their studies to apply to stay in Scotland for up to two years after completing their studies to seek and take work.

When will I be able to apply for the scheme?

The Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme will be launched on 22 June 2005. You will not be able to apply for the scheme (either in the UK or from abroad) until it is launched.

How do I qualify for the scheme?

To be granted leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme you must:

Have been awarded an HND, or a UK recognised undergraduate degree, Master's degree or PhD by a Scottish institution of Higher or Further Education.
Have lived in Scotland for an appropriate period whilst studying for your HND, degree, Masters or PhD.
Intend to work in Scotland during the period of leave granted under the scheme.
Be able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants without recourse to public funds.
Intend to leave the UK at the end of your stay, unless granted leave as a work permit holder, highly skilled migrant, business person or innovator.

Can I apply while I am in Scotland?

You can only apply while you are in the UK if you have valid leave as a student (this includes leave as a student nurse, to re-sit examinations or to write up a thesis) or under the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS). You will not be able to switch from any other category of leave onto the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme while in the UK.

You can also apply to return from abroad under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme up to 12 months after you complete your studies. You must have an entry clearance for the scheme if you apply from abroad.

For HND and degree level students, the date you complete your studies will be the date on your graduation certificate. For Masters or PhD students, the date you complete your studies will be the date your leave as a student (or to re-sit examinations or write up a thesis) expires.

Can I submit my application to the Scottish Executive?

No. All applications must be submitted to the Home Office. Details of how to submit your application will be available on the IND website when the scheme is launched.

What if I have completed my course, but have not yet graduated?

Applicants should provide their degree certificate to show that they have successfully completed their course. However, if you have your result confirmed, but are awaiting graduation, you may instead provide a letter from your personal tutor confirming that they have successfully completed the course.

What if my studies have been sponsored (for example by a government or international scholarship agency?

Applicants who have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency will need to obtain written permission from their sponsor before applying for the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme.

What type of work can I do under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme?

There are no restrictions on the type of work you can do if you are granted leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme. Participants can take any type of employment (paid or unpaid), self employment or business during their leave under the scheme without seeking a work permit or other permission from the Home Office.

How long can I stay in the UK under the scheme?

You can stay in the UK for up to two years under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme.

Two years is the maximum amount of leave that can be granted as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant. Therefore if you spend time outside the UK while you have leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme this will still count towards the two years.

What if I have been granted leave under the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS)?

Anyone who has leave under SEGS can apply to switch into leave as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant. You would need to meet all the relevant criteria, so you would have to apply within 12 months of completing your studies.

The maximum amount of leave you can be granted under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme is two years including any leave granted under SEGS. Therefore if your application for the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme is successful, but you have already been granted one year of leave under SEGS, you will only be granted one further year of leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme.

Can I switch into other employment categories?

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participants will be eligible to switch in-country into leave as a:

work permit holder, if the work permit is for employment in Scotland
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) participant
Business person
Innovator

You would have to show that you meet the requirements of the category you apply to switch into. Further information on these schemes is available on this website.

If you do not switch into one of these categories, you will have to leave the UK by the time your leave expires.

Can my dependants stay in Scotland with me?

The Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme is part of the Scottish Executive's Fresh Talent Initiative. The Fresh Talent Initiative encourages people to consider living and working in Scotland, as well as supporting efforts to retain indigenous people who wish to begin, or to further, their careers in Scotland.

The Home Office and the Scottish Executive are working together to implement the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme. This scheme will enable non-EEA nationals who have successfully completed an HND, degree course, Masters or PhD at a Scottish university and have lived in Scotland during their studies to apply to stay in Scotland for up to two years after completing their studies to seek and take work.

When will I be able to apply for the scheme?

The Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme will be launched on 22 June 2005. You will not be able to apply for the scheme (either in the UK or from abroad) until it is launched.

How do I qualify for the scheme?

To be granted leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme you must:

Have been awarded an HND, or a UK recognised undergraduate degree, Master?s degree or PhD by a Scottish institution of Higher or Further Education.
Have lived in Scotland for an appropriate period whilst studying for your HND, degree, Masters or PhD.
Intend to work in Scotland during the period of leave granted under the scheme.
Be able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants without recourse to public funds.
Intend to leave the UK at the end of your stay, unless granted leave as a work permit holder, highly skilled migrant, business person or innovator.

Can I apply while I am in Scotland?

You can only apply while you are in the UK if you have valid leave as a student (this includes leave as a student nurse, to re-sit examinations or to write up a thesis) or under the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS). You will not be able to switch from any other category of leave onto the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme while in the UK.

You can also apply to return from abroad under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme up to 12 months after you complete your studies. You must have an entry clearance for the scheme if you apply from abroad.

For HND and degree level students, the date you complete your studies will be the date on your graduation certificate. For Masters or PhD students, the date you complete your studies will be the date your leave as a student (or to re-sit examinations or write up a thesis) expires.

Can I submit my application to the Scottish Executive?

No. All applications must be submitted to the Home Office. Details of how to submit your application will be available on the IND website when the scheme is launched.

What if I have completed my course, but have not yet graduated?

Applicants should provide their degree certificate to show that they have successfully completed their course. However, if you have your result confirmed, but are awaiting graduation, you may instead provide a letter from your personal tutor confirming that they have successfully completed the course.

What if my studies have been sponsored (for example by a government or international scholarship agency?

Applicants who have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency will need to obtain written permission from their sponsor before applying for the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme.

What type of work can I do under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme?

There are no restrictions on the type of work you can do if you are granted leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme. Participants can take any type of employment (paid or unpaid), self employment or business during their leave under the scheme without seeking a work permit or other permission from the Home Office.

How long can I stay in the UK under the scheme?

You can stay in the UK for up to two years under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme.
Two years is the maximum amount of leave that can be granted as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant. Therefore if you spend time outside the UK while you have leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme this will still count towards the two years.

What if I have been granted leave under the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS)?

Anyone who has leave under SEGS can apply to switch into leave as a Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant. You would need to meet all the relevant criteria, so you would have to apply within 12 months of completing your studies.

The maximum amount of leave you can be granted under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme is two years including any leave granted under SEGS. Therefore if your application for the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme is successful, but you have already been granted one year of leave under SEGS, you will only be granted one further year of leave under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme.

Can I switch into other employment categories?

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participants will be eligible to switch in-country into leave as a:

work permit holder, if the work permit is for employment in Scotland
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) participant
Business person
Innovator

You would have to show that you meet the requirements of the category you apply to switch into. Further information on these schemes is available on this website.

If you do not switch into one of these categories, you will have to leave the UK by the time your leave expires.

Can my dependants stay in Scotland with me?

Yes, if they meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules your dependants will be able to stay in Scotland with you. If they are applying from abroad, they must apply for the correct entry clearance.

How do I apply?

To apply while you are in the UK, you will need to complete the relevant application form, which is an FLR(FT:WISS). This will be available from the All forms section of this website shortly.

The application form contains further information on how to apply for the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme, including the payment for these applications. The address to send your completed application form, along with the documentation to demonstrate that you meet the criteria, is available on the application form.

Further details on applying for a visa or entry clearance can be found on the UK Visas website.

Where can I find out more?

Further information on the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme will be available in the Immigration Directorates? Instructions (IDIs) on the IND website shortly.

Some general information